Maintaining the health and well-being of our family is the most important thing we can do as a parent. If you want to look after those you love the most, we have some important things you can do in your life to keep them healthy, active, and safe.
Be active as a family
The first thing you can do to promote a healthy lifestyle in your little ones is to make sure you are active as a family. This means spending some of your free time over the weekends heading out to the park, riding bikes, playing football in the garden, amongst other things. There are so many wonderful things you can do to be active as a family and you have the opportunity to keep everyone fit and lean while still having some fun! Fitness doesn’t have to be a chore, and when you have kids to do it with it’ll be much more fun and rewarding.
Keep an eye on your kids
It is important to always keep an eye out for your children when they are out and about. The world is a dangerous place and there are also a lot of bad people. Make sure that you keep an eye on your kids even when they aren’t at home with a tracking app or another form of safety app. There are some ideas out there that will keep your child under your supervision and that way, you’ll be able to see where they are should they be running late from playing with their friends.
Get plenty of sleep
Sleep is one of the most important things in the world, and to ensure your family stays healthy this year it is crucial for you to encourage a healthy night’s sleep for all. Make sure that you always invest in the sleeping pattern of your family, trying to switch off devices a little before bed, drinking a hot chocolate for relaxation, and dimming the lights to help everyone calm. There are lots of ways for you to encourage and maintain a good sleeping routine for your family and investing in this is a great idea.
Drink plenty of water
It is so important to drink lots of water, and getting your kids to do this can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. However, there are several ways you can encourage the kids to drink water. One of the best is to add fruit to your water and let the flavour infuse into the drink. The best one we think of is strawberry!
Ensuring that you avoid eating takeaways is such an important thing to do if you are trying to keep yourself and your family healthy. Home cooked meals are so much better and if you cook in batches you can make them even on the busiest of schedules. Consider following some different cooking accounts online and joining groups to gain helpful tips and tricks about meal prepping and making healthier dishes.
Meal prep healthy foods
Speaking of healthy foods, we want to share a couple of simple recipes you can make for lunches and dinner during the week for the whole family. Packed with protein, flavour, and nutrients – these recipes are the perfect way to keep your family on track with their health goals.
Using plenty of roasted veggies in your meals is crucial and this dish is perfect for family.
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups tortellini
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 block halloumi
- Parmesan for dusting
- Chop your vegetables into bite size pieces and add to a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour.
- Chop halloumi into chunks and pan fry until golden.
- Cook your tortellini according to instructions.
- Add all of your components into a pan with your tomato sauce, mix, and serve. Dust with some Parmesan.
- This meal can also be prepared for a week and frozen for up to 1 month.
Honey glazed salmon and rice
Salmon is a fish that can divide opinion – but if you love this fish, this simple recipe is ideal for a weekday meal.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water mixed with 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup sweet corn and peas
- ½ bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 spring onion, chopped finely
- In a saucepan, mix your honey, soy sauce, coriander, lime juice, and cornflour slurry. Heat until thick.
- Add salmon fillets to a baking tray and pour over half of the sauce, bake for 20 minutes.
- Add rice to a pan with vegetable stock, bell pepper, and spring onion. Bring to a boil then simmer, covering and cooking for 10-15 minutes until tender. Add peas and sweetcorn.
- Serve salmon with rice and remaining sauce.
P.S. This post contains affiliate links.